Monday, December 27, 2010

Indentify your child’s talent and support it!

Julissa and I, would stand in front of the large mirrors in my living room and choreograph steps to Sugar Hill Gangs brand new hip hop song.  Yes you read it correctly, SUGAR HILL.  Sugar Hill Gang, was the very first rap group, this group opened the doors to a multi million dollar industry that has evolved beyond recognition.  At that time, I was about 9 and so was Julissa my Panamanian best friend.  Her and I loved the group and the song, lover’s delight, we knew every word and made steps up for every beat.  I remember we had bought matching pants, because her and I were going to be dancers.  
When I was about 11 I joined tap dancing in school, I was in the Glee club, then I was in a baton twirling team I learned how to play the guitar briefly, I went to acting classes one summer, joined the cheerleader team in Junior HS and finally in HS I joined the gymnastics team.   As I write this I think, damn I can’t believe I did all of that stuff, but when you are that young you don’t even feel like your doing so many things, and to me, all these things came naturally, I felt the music in my body I wanted to sing dance and do somersaults.  My grandparents use to tell me, that when I was about 4 years old, I would grab a rope and start singing a Spanish song that was really popular and that no matter what song would play on the radio, I would just start dancing.  
I think that any one of these talents could of been further developed, but I strongly believe that the lack of support from my parents, was what discouraged me to want to pursue and further explore my natural talent.  When I think back at any of these activities that I partook in, I don’t really remember that my parents were very supportive of any one of them.  I do remember that they would pay for whatever tools I needed for the schools activities and my mom would take me from Brooklyn all the way to Queens which back then seemed to be in another world, so that I could take my acting lessons, and yes they allowed me to stay after school to be part  of these activities,  but I honestly feel, that they never really encouraged nor did they push me to reach my full potential.
As a parent now, I can definitely see how sometimes we may notice that our children have a certain talent that we can clearly identify, but how we can get caught up in our own everyday challenges and how our lives are sometimes so hectic that we may not really pay attention or support or push our children to their fullest potential.  I myself am guilty of doing these things.  However, I try my best to push and support my children as much as I can.  I want to help them explore the things that they like, as I feel that it is so vital for their own development and personal growth.  
I have never asked my mom why she never pushed me, or why she never went to watch me cheerlead or tap dance, or why she never watched Julissa and I do our Sugar Hill routine in the living room.  But something tells me, that after working in a factory all day long and having to come home to cook and clean, hardly would leave any time to want to watch let alone push or encourage.
I bet that out of all the things that I loved to do, I think dancing would of definitely been the one thing that had my parents pushed me, I would of definitely taken it to a next level.  When I was 18yrs old, I would go to the Tunnel which was a popular house music dance club, just to dance.  I would go there, rain, snow or shine with a cold or a fever, just to lay on the speakers listen to music and dream. I loved dancing, still do.

So, to all you parents out there that push their kids to reach their talents full potential, who take their kids to their games, who take their kids to their piano lessons and who encourage their kids to do what they love, kudos to you! and to those of you, who haven’t noticed or don’t have the time or just don’t care, maybe it’s time you start paying close attention, you never know, your child may have the potential to be the next.....President. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What happens in Vegas!

 Dear Journal - I know it has been sometime since I last wrote but as of late, my life has been pretty busy! I came on here tonight to write...