Friday, March 4, 2011

MY MIND SAID YES, MY BODY SAID NO!

A few months ago, I was in Pachas NYC night club having myself a blast.  I really enjoy going there, not because it's fancy or because it's filled with shirtless men with beautiful bodies, but because I love to dance.

When I was in my late teens and early 20's I literally would go to the clubs probably like 5 out of 7 days a week, no exaggeration.  There was actually a time when the only day of the week that I didn't party was Monday.  At this point of my life, I wasn't doing anything, I didn't work or go to school, I had no kids, so I was pretty much free to do as I pleased.

At the clubs I used to go to, I knew everybody, I never paid to get in because I never had any money but I was lucky because I always knew the bouncers and almost all the dancers.  These dancers didnt work for the clubs or anything but they also knew the owners and bouncers, because they were regulars, they were there to dance.  Most of them were really good, many of them were struggling dancers that were trying to make it in the industry.  To me, It was beautiful the passion they had for their art, dancing to me is one of the most amazing art forms.  They would be there never drinking or taking drugs, they were there doing what they loved, dancing.  I met alot of dancers that made videos with people like 
Janet Jackson but to get there was really difficult.  I could dance as well, but I was no where near as good as these people.  However, one thing I was really good at, was motivating the dancers to have a good battle.

My friends would always grab me and ask me to open up the circles, because I did that well.  A circle is where dance battles takes place, so basically you open it up by starting to dance and separating the people that are gathered around in a
group so that they can create a circle around the 
dancer and the dance battle can take place.  Its pretty cool stuff.  Back then, almost all the people battling were friends with each other, so they sort of critiqued each other and kind of tried to out dance each other, every now and then a fight would break out because of it, but for the most part, if the club was a
"
house music club" which is probably the equivalent to techno now sort of, there was never really any bad friction amongs them.

When I go to Pachas NYC, sometimes I get very melancholic, because I see this type of thing there.  Groups of friends dancing in circles.  The most notable thing I have noticed though is, that the dance steps from 20 yrs. ago, are the same ones today.  People still use the same moves, the  only difference is that it's a new generation doing them.

One of the very first times I went, I was dancing doing one of my "old school moves" and I over heard someone saying, look she is doing the "xyz" dace, I don't remember the name they referenced, but to be honest, I didn't even know their was a name for it.  In addition, I made sure I picked a deserted corner, where I could close my eyes, feel the rhythm of the music, and just dance.  When I go out to a place like that, It's to dance, and for no other reason.  I close my eyes, feel the music, and forget the world, I get lost in the moment, the moment of music and rhythm, I feel the music in my soul, I love it!

So one night, I'm in my moment, feeling the music, not paying attention to my surrounding and some kid comes up to me and says "yo, open up the circle". At first I had a quick flashback and then I thought "is this kid serious?? Does he know how old I am? And then he kept saying "open up the circle yo" to me, this meant that whatever dance I was doing at the moment, showed that I could dance and that I could stop the crowd around me and "open up the circle" in that next moment, my mind said yes, but my body said NO!  All I know is that the next minute as all these thoughts were going around in my head,  I was all of a sudden, opening up the circle WTF!  But the second everyone was gathered around me and I was the center of this circle I wanted nothing else but to get the hell out of it, especially, because the guy who had asked me to open up the circle wanted to battle me WHAT! So, I did the first thing that I could think of doing, I grabbed the cutest girl that was gathered around the circle and made her dance with him.  Thank God for her!

After that, I stepped away from the crowd and my eyes became watery and in that moment, I realized, that MY moment had passed.  I just kept looking at everyone and thinking, what am I doing here?

After that night, I keep wondering how if I felt that way, imagine how a real dancer must feel? Imagine to know as an artist that your "moment has passed" it must be devastating.

I don't consider myself old, but I am no longer 20.  People always tell me I don't act my age and that I don't look it.  I don't act a certain way on purpose, I just am who I am.  I do have to admit that I might look younger, but my body feels my real age.  However, there was no way in hell I could of battled anyone! nor did I want to, nor did I feel regret because I wasn't back at those clubs 20 years ago.  I wasn't there to do anything but dance and enjoy myself, because although my body says no, my heart and mind always says yes! I still love to dance! And apparently I'm still good at it.

I am glad that in my life so far, I have done what my 
heart desires.  I had my moment and I can tell this story.  Imagine going through life wondering what if I would of done xyz? So I always say, live the moments, make them count! Have a dream, make it happen!



ps....House Music all night long say what??? It's all about the leg work! watch :)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw21xI0uOO0&feature=related


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILWSp0m9G2U&feature=fvsr




No comments:

Post a Comment

What happens in Vegas!

 Dear Journal - I know it has been sometime since I last wrote but as of late, my life has been pretty busy! I came on here tonight to write...