Monday, July 11, 2011

Letters to a friend series....Letter #4 - Learn about my culture.

The reason why I started my journal, was because I was deeply in love with someone who broke my heart in a way that no one ever has.  This person was my friend for over a year, lied to me and when I found out and went balistic, he decided to delete me from his life as if I was a program on his computer.
For 2 and a half years, I sent him e-mails trying to make up with him.  I wrote him over 500 letters and he never responded to not even one. http://jazzy-jazzysjournal.blogspot.com/2011/03/letters-to-friend-series-letter-1-my.html

I want to stay true to the few followers that I have.  I had said a few months back that I would be posting those letters on my blog, because they no longer meant anything to me.  After all, he probably never even read them, so they were no longer personal.  Anyway, I want to stay true to my few followers (thank you so much for reading my blog) so here is letter #4.  I wrote this letter to him on June 20, 2010.
We saw each other since.  We are no longer friends, but we are aquaintances. 

I have finally moved on and am very happy about it.

********************************************************************************

Dear Friend:

It is a beautiful morning here in Colombia, I wanted to share with you, a song from my beautiful country. This type of music is called vallenatos, and it is typical in my beautiful land of Colombia.
I figured I share it with you for two reasons, one, Sophia Vergara the actress from the tv show modern family, is in the video and this is a really really old song, and two, because after I sent you the song from Aventura and told you it was a song from Dominican Republic, I realized that I had never sent you a song that represented my beautiful land.

Vallenatos come from the Coast of Colombia, but they are also very popular here in Pereira, which is where I am from.  The majority of the songs they make are about love of course what a SHOCKER! before I knew my friend Mau who is from that part of the Colombia, I would think Vallenatos and relate them to Colombia, after I met him however, I think vallenatos and I think Cartagena, Cartagena is where he is from, and that is the Coast of my country, Cartagena is right next to Santa Marta where I was last year on vacation.  It's a beautiful amazing city, look it up.

Anyway, I am not a huge fan of this sort of music, but, I do listen to it occasionally, it is after all MUSIC. I love sending you different songs becuase as you know, you brought music back to my life, I wanted to share with you, all the different genre of music that I know about and am sure that you don't.  After all you said it yourself that you are a "MUSIC GUY" my sweet love, a music guy who only listens to Ani Difranco, that's pretty funny.  I must thank you for introducing me to a new genre of music though, I do after all appreciate all types of music.

*secret* the day you sent me your music mix that you made especially for me, when I started listening to it at work, I told the girl I worked with "what the fuck is this, is he trying to put me to sleep during work???" I literally only knew like two or three of the songs on there, in addition I also thought "he is so weird" it wasn't until I got home that day and sat down and really paid attention to each song, that I began to appreciate it, and what would you know, I fell in love with many of those songs and the man that introduced me to them. Tiff, who was my co-worker who I made this comment to, said to me that day, wow jazz, he must really like you, I wouldn't spend time making someone a music mix.  I thought that time that you were just being nice.  Till this day, I still don't know if you ever liked me in a romantic way and I guess I never will.  Now I'm crying.  Not knowing is the worst feeling in the world, I hope you never have to feel what I have for the last 17months of my life, not knowing, always wondering why?

Anyway, I didn't write this to make myself cry, I wrote this because I want to introduce you to Vallenatos.  If nothing else, you can say you know a thing or two about different latin cultures, I know you like to learn so I hope you will appreciate my email.  If not, well you can just choose to delete it, It's cool.

This song is about how she left and he wishes he could see her again, kind of sad would you agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiNArctXwPc Carlos vives - Que diera 

Carlos Vives is an Icon in Colombia.  I wish you could understand the lyrics of this song.  They make me think of you.
ps. I know how to dance this music too :)

Pss. I am writing this email from my room in Woodhaven, Queens.  I lied to you at the beginning of the email to make the effect of the email more exciting, but as I wrote the email, I imagined I was sitting in my room in my moms house in Colombia.  You know I don't lie to my love.

HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY MY SWEET FRIEND.....TQM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What happens in Vegas!

 Dear Journal - I know it has been sometime since I last wrote but as of late, my life has been pretty busy! I came on here tonight to write...