Tuesday, November 20, 2012

MUSIC......

"Being Deeply Loved by Someone Gives you Strength, While Loving Someone Deeply Gives you Courage" ~ Lao Tzu

Dear Journal: 

Below, my concerto report that I wrote last year for my music class.  When I say I love ALL MUSIC! I mean that! I listen to classical music all the time and not only do I listen to it, I grab my four year old daughter and her and I will dance to it......... WE BOTH LOVE IT VERY MUCH!


Concerto Report 
 The Conservatory Orchestra at Brooklyn College’s Whitman Theater.  Thursday, November 3, 2011.  George Rothman Conductor.  Jeffrey Biegel piano.  
The performance consisted of three works.  These pieces were by composers Richard Wagner 1813 - 1883, Franz Liszt 1811 - 1886 and Bela Bartok, 1881 - 1945.  Richard Wagner was a “German composer, conductor, music theorist and essayist mainly known for his opera’s”[1] Wagner’s piece Die Meistersinger overture, was the first composition played.  This overture was written for an opera set in the sixteenth century in Nuremberg.  The opera is a comedy about a man who falls in love with a woman whose father wishes her to marry the winner of a singing contest held by the Guild of the Mastersingers.  The man wins the contest and the hand of the woman he loves.  Wagner is famous for the use of leitmotiv which is a “short theme associated with a person, object or idea”[2]
Franz Liszt, 1811 - 1886 was a composer and pianist among other things.  Liszt, was originally from Raiding, Hungary but made his musical career in Weimar, Germany.  He was best known for reconceiving traditional forms and was also credited for inventing (symphonic poem) the piece that was heard in the concerto, was Liszt’s Piano Concerto No. 1 in E-flat major.  This piece was described as “gleaming, extroverted, thrilling virtuosic.” Liszt originally made this composition around 1835 but he made many revisions to it.  The piece follows “radically innovative and reliant” form.  “On classical models: it unfolds as a single continuous drama, yet comprises four discrete sections that mimic the movements of a Classical symphony (fast, slow, scherzo, fast).”[3]
Bela Bartok, 1881 - 1945 was born in an area of Hungary that is now called Romania.  Bartok was a concertizing pianist, a piano teacher at the Budapest Academy of Music and a pioneer in the study of Eastern European Folk music.[4]  In 1873 the Buda, Obuda and Pest were united to create the metropolis of Budapest.  Fifty years later the municipal authority commissioned Bartok as one of the composers to compose works celebrating the anniversary of the same.  For this grand occasion, Bartok composed the Dance Suite: Moderato, Allegro moto, Allegro vivace, Molto tranquillo, Comodo - Finale.  Bartok would not reveal the sources of his new works inspiration, because part of his inspiration for this work was that of Arabic and Romanian folk music.  He later said that the reason for doing this was to “put together a kind of idealized peasant music-you could say an invented peasant music - in such a way that the individual movements of the work would introduce particular types (i.e. ethnic) of music.”[5]
I enjoyed listening to this Orchestra tremendously.  I was very impressed with the fact that my school has such an amazing venue as I have never before attended anything at the school;  I was really proud to be a student at Brooklyn College.  I sat down feeling a bit nervous about what I would write since I have never written a music report before.  I got my book and pen out wondering what I should be taking notes about.  I was not sure what I would say.  At first, I sat there and watched as the players began to tune there instruments, I heard different pitch sounds coming from the violins the flutes the clarinets and oboe.  Once the players were done tuning their respective instruments, the conductor came out and everyone began to applaud, the orchestra rose and sat back down.  When the music began to play I was just entranced by the wonderful succession of fixed pitches that made the melody feel smooth and calming but that went straight to my heart.  Listening to it made me feel very sad,  I thought about someone who I loved and began to cry.  It was extremely emotional being there listening to the sounds that reminded me of Kings, Queens and love.  I got chills and felt taken away to a fairytale world where our love would be possible. 
After a few minutes the music became very excited and loud the harmony was different.  It sounded like a call and response from the violins to the clarinets I think.  This part reminded me of cartoons and so I stopped crying and began to feel like a kid again.  I was relaxed and began to imagine Tom running after Jerry in the children’s cartoon Tom and Jerry, I smiled.  The music went on for what seemed like forever, but I was enjoying every moment of it.   As it was coming to an end, the sound was loud and excited, all the instruments were played in unison and loud, it produced excitement and then it stopped.  It was really a great piece.
The next piece was the Piano Concerto.  The Piano Concerto was lovely;  I thought I was only going to hear the piano, but to my surprise it started out with the other instruments playing and then the piano responding to them.  The musical texture was rough at first and felt as if the piano was being played in a rough manner, but then the piano slowed down and it sounded low and soothing.  At one point you were able to hear each piano key one after the other almost in order.  I was really amazed by the way Mr. Biegel was one with the piano and how at times the piano almost sounded like a bell ringing.  It was amazing to watch him play, because you could tell that he was one with his piano.  He felt the music in his body and he was lost in his moment;  simply amazing and mesmerizing.
Finally, Bartok’s Dance Suite.  This piece was really exciting as well.  For some reason listening to this reminded me of indian movies, when they are in horses in a desert somewhere chasing something or being chased.  I really enjoyed all four of the pieces and at some points the sounds were so relaxing I felt sleepy and calm.  But then the tone color would become hard and I would feel excited again and up and attentive.  The whole time everything that was happening was unexpected and there were times that I did not know what to feel because it went back and forth from one harmony to the next unexpectedly.
I really enjoyed this orchestra and plan on attending another one sometime soon.  I also plan on bringing my children next time so that they can learn how to appreciate this genre of music.  These pieces were all amazing but I have to admit that my favorite was Wagner’s piece.  I guess I am a sucker for fairytales and romance. 


[1] CUNY Blackboard Academic Suite, Music Language History & Culture Course Documents, Wagner, Richard
[2] Program Notes – Wagner, Richard
[3] Program Notes – Liszt, Franz
[4] CUNY Blackboard Academic Suite, Music Language History & Culture, Course Documents, Bartok, Bela
 [5] Program Notes - Bartok, Bela

Richard Wagner - Die Meistersinger overture

No comments:

Post a Comment

What happens in Vegas!

 Dear Journal - I know it has been sometime since I last wrote but as of late, my life has been pretty busy! I came on here tonight to write...