Saturday, November 5, 2011

Till death do us part or for your green card!


I once described my last marriage to someone, as a combination of the movie green card and fools rush in.  I wasn’t exaggerating either.  I have been married twice in my life, but when I think about other people’s marriages and compare them to mine, I don’t only feel depressed about it, I also feel annoyed that I didn’t get big bucks for doing having been married.
Most of us have heard the story of how most immigrants have gotten their green card by marrying someone for money, although marrying for money is illegal it is a fact and many have done it.  But, this post is not about how I didn’t commit a crime, it’s more about how pathetic I am and how I cried about the man that I really loved on the day of my first wedding day.  And how I married both times to provide a service which was helping both individuals with green cards and how I didn’t get paid for it.
I can’t even remember it well, all I know, is that I was with my re-bound and he seemed like a really good guy that would be a good step dad to my son.  My thought 16yrs ago was, that if I married someone while my oldest son was still a baby, then my son would have the opportunity to grow up with a male role model that would love him and raise him.  I remember that after my son’s dad and I broke up, I was desperate to find someone, because I wanted to find my son a “baby daddy” I know, crazy! right? so here came this guy, who my cousin suggested I date because “he’s so cool and has a car” and me not knowing any better at the age of 24 just jumped into this marriage.  
The day of my city hall wedding is a big blur to me, I only remember that I was wearing the ugliest pink suit and I bought some fake flowers outside of the court house.  But one thing that I can still feel as I write this, is the sadness I felt, when my then soon to be husband walked out of the car to go to the grocery store to buy batteries for our cheesy camera.  The moment he walked out of the car, I looked over at my best friend and broke down in tears.  She knew in that moment exactly why I was crying, I told her that I always thought I would marry him, my son’s dad.  She told me to get myself together because my future husband was walking back to the car.  The rest of the day is a blur to me, I remember the judge saying I pronounce you husband and wife and us leaving the place and going home.
I married him, because he needed a green card and I needed a baby daddy for my son.  My relationship didn’t last very long after that and to write about it would take me all night.  But I can honestly say that I had an adventure like no other with him.  He passed away about a year after we were divorced, he never got his green card and I never told him or anyone that I cried on my wedding day.  The only one that knew, was my friend, and now...... You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What happens in Vegas!

 Dear Journal - I know it has been sometime since I last wrote but as of late, my life has been pretty busy! I came on here tonight to write...