Sunday, December 11, 2011

Dear Journal: I DIDN'T LEARN SHIT!!!

I really did learn alot, but I had to make you read my journal!!! (insert smiley with big teeth here) ok, so today was my last music class and I learned a whole bunch of stuff so much I can't remember anymore (insert sad smiley here) however, I learned one very important thing and that is.....


Music is THE MOST WONDERFUL THING ON EARTH! I have always said that I like all types of music and I have to say it again, I seriously do! I APPRECIATE ALL MUSIC! every single week no matter what genre we were studying that particular week, or what corner of the earth the music we were studying came from whether it was China or Pakistan or South America or the Renaissance or the romanticism or classical or opera or WHATEVER, I still ALWAYS managed to move to the sound or shake my head or tap my feet or just want to cry from the beauty of it!!!


Today, was the last day and maybe I don't remember proper terms or names of songs or even fully understand the deepness of it all, but one thing I can say is this, I was especially touched by one specific genre of music that I sort of had a prejudice about and every single time I would walk into some sort of store and heard it I was bitter and upset because it made me think of evil people up until today.  I am almost ashamed to share this but I feel that I must, because this is my journal and these are the true events of this my life and so even if what I'm about to share is a bit embarrassing, I have to, because I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who feels this way and if I am, God please forgive me! 


Today or this last weeks music was Middle Eastern, I live in NYC and I have deep sadness about events that took place years ago that I do not need to go to because it's sort of obvious, I am talking about 9/11.  Anyway, I also have learned in my Psychology class that we are conditioned to certain things and that even if we don't really mean to or want to, we have prejudices that we can't change unless we fully are aware of them and understand them.  I did not realize how prejudice I was until today, when I was forced to listen to this sort of music and learn the background of it.  Well, I learned that Ghazal music which is from Pakistan, is a form a poetic expression.  I learned the deep meaning of this genre of music.  And what it signifies.  And when I was exposed to the lyrics of the song we were studying for the class, in that moment it dawned on me, that all this time I have been a prejudice fool and ignorant that judged a whole culture based on one persons horrible doing! and I felt really sad that I know that so many others do as well.


Ultimately, we are all the same no matter where on earth we come from and the music that we listen to always ends up being about the same thing...... LOVE! LOVE! the song I had to listen to was about LOVE and the woman that sings it looks like she could be my sister.  WOW! after today, I will never look or deep down think badly of anyone when I walk into their store and they are listening to their beautiful music... PLEASE FORGIVE ME I am not completely proud of this post but I hope that with what I learned today, I can continue to practice what I preach and that I will not allow one person's doing, dirty my heart for others...


PLEASE EJOY THIS MOST BEAUTIFUL POETIC GHAZAL SONG FROM PAKISTAN...


ALSO, PLEASE NOTE THAT LOVE! is all we need to make this world a better place...


Some of the lyrics go like this...


 
1
Yunhi pehlu mein bethey raho                
Tonight, do not insist   on leaving 
                                                                       Sit here close to me
Haaye mar jaayein ge                                ... I will die, I will be  lost
Hum to lutt jaayein ge
Aisi baatein kiya na karo                  Don't say such things
Aaj jaane ki zid na karo                    Tonight, do not insist on leaving

2
Tumhi socho zara                                    Just ponder for a second
kyu'n na rokein tumhey                                 Why shouldn't I stop you?
jaan jaati hai jab uth ke jaatey ho tum          When my life leaves every time you go
tum ko apni qasam jaan-e-jaa'n                    I swear to you, my love
baat itni meri maan lo                                    Listen to my one request
Aaj jaane ki zid na karo                           Tonight, do not insist on leaving



LINK TO SONG BELOW..



Aaj jane ki zid na karo - Farida Khanum


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_UZuNUZR0





No comments:

Post a Comment

What happens in Vegas!

 Dear Journal - I know it has been sometime since I last wrote but as of late, my life has been pretty busy! I came on here tonight to write...