Saturday, August 4, 2012

Dear Journal: Jekyll Island

Dear Journal:


I wrote a story a long time ago for someone because at that time, that person was becoming someone special to me.  The specifics of this story I can't really share for many reasons, but, the actual story that I wrote, I can.  I wrote it because the person I wrote it for is not rich, but is financially savvy, financially comfortable yet I felt bad for this individual, because although it seemed like he had it all, I sincerely feel that he was lonely and deep down, not really happy.  Also, we were talking and he expressed to me that he really wanted to go away on this trip and that he wasn't going to do it, because he could not justify to himself, spending 3K on a vacation.  When he told me that, I could NOT believe my ears and at that moment I felt almost sorry for him, I saw in him a money hungry human being that although he had so much, he wanted more and more and more.  I don't like to be judgmental, but I felt sad for him, I felt sincerely sad that he could not see what I saw, that the world to him was something to conquer not enjoy.  He didn't realize that life is too short and that if we don't stop and live it, it will pass us by.  I am not saying there is anything wrong with wanting money, but when you become out right greedy with yourself, I find that really sad.  


Anyway, maybe I was wrong, maybe he was happy, but I don't think he really was, I always felt like he was playing a role, so that he could get to where he wanted to be.  I don't know, I guess some people live their lives hoping or wishing in secret, instead of doing and taking chances and living.  I don't know how to be that way.  I don't really believe there is such a thing as complete happiness.  And I am positive, that happiness is nothing you find or have that is outside of ourselves.  Happiness is something that we look for within, it is something that is spiritual and it is not something you feel 24/7.  Example, I sometimes feel really sad and go through really tough days, but all in all, I'm ok, I'm pretty happy for the most part, even if I have sad, disappointing, difficult days.  For the most part, even on my most miserable days, I try to find something, to remind me that happiness is not something I get from anything or anyone, that happiness is within and that I need to continue to look for it in myself.  But there are those who strive for things and "pretend" so they can get to where they want to be, not realizing that if you just work in an honorable way, if you are true to yourself and others and if you are genuine and sincere, then things will start to happen and life will treat you kind.  


I want to share this "justification story" because I wrote this for him after him telling me he could not justify spending 3k on himself.  I wrote it to him, with hopes that he would maybe see what I saw, or to help him realize that he didn't need to justify anything to himself because he deserved spending money on himself.  Especially, because he worked really hard each and every day.  After I wrote it, he told me he never had the chance to read it.  I know he was lying, but I didn't care, because for a long time after that, although his words didn't say a thing, his eyes told me many secrets.  For a long time I disliked and nearly hated this individual, but I since, have had a change of heart and have forgiven him for the way he treated me, which was not very nice.  To forgive is not to forget, but to remember without hostility.  I remember him once throwing in my face the fact that he had way more then I did, I remember crying after he said that to me without him knowing I had, I remember him thinking he was too good for me.  I don't care anymore that anyone thinks they are too good.  Because the ones that think that way, are the most unhappy miserable people.  Me, I'm good!


I hope you will enjoy my little "justification story"....... it is called Jekyll Island................................................


JEKYLL ISLAND - BY: JAZZY



Jekyll Island, why with it's beautiful beaches, astounding scenic views, serene sorroundings and wonderful history, it's no wonder that it would cost and arm and a leg to go to golfing classes there, yet I have for you, Mr. Hyde, a valid and just reason to help you make this life changing experience happen. Let us call the following story, a brief look at a day in the life of Mr. Hyde the future husband and father.

But first, let's take a look at the current Mr. Hyde.  While I only know the professional aspect of your life, I feel that I am in a position were I may have a valid reason for putting my thoughts forth for you to review and consider.  Our work life is what takes up the majority of our lives as a whole.  We spend the most time at work and most people, especially those individuals that are in positions where they constantly have to make decisions that affect the company's that they work for, have to often even take their work with them home and stay late hours, thus making work a major significant part of their lives.  With this said, I will now tell you what I see.

You work really hard, I have sometimes looked in your office and seen you in deep thought clearly thinking through something that you are working on.  While many people have criticized that work that requires thought is not as extremely tiring as physical labor, I will argue that mental work is very exhausting as well.  Sitting in one place all day long thinking of the right words to convey an opinion or express a thought, is very draining.  I also have to point out, that only someone who works hard moves up in an institution, and your track record, clearly shows how you have moved up the ranks.

The point of this story however, is not to convince you that you have worked hard and therefore deserve a vacation, that point is perfectly clear.  The point however that I am trying to make to you is, that there indeed is a way to justify to yourself, that 3,000 dollars, for someone who makes I am pretty sure much more then that a month, is not really a lot of money to spend on yourself.  Yes, 3k is a lot of money, however, did you not struggle for many years going to school? sacrificing time with family and friends? eating crappy food? studying all sorts of hours of the night, living off of the little bit of money you made while working crappy jobs and pinching pennies? jeopardizing your health for a successful rewarding future? Being poor to the point that you would have to pinch pennies and dimes just to survive?  So, how can you not justify wanting something that would make you feel really good? something you have clearly earned.  I am not sure if you have indulged in your success, because I don't know everything about the personal aspect of your life but from where I can see, it is clear to me, that the points I just brought forth are enough justification that you most definitely owe this trip to yourself.

The other aspect of this justification which I am presenting to you as future tense is as follows.  One day after being married for sometime, after having Hyde junior, you wake up realizing that you are exhausted, you have worked hard for so many years, being a hard working executive at a firm a wonderful husband to some lucky woman and a great father.  You feel like you deserve a vacation.  By now, you are PAID! You have cash in the bank, your monthly bills are covered for way over 1 year and you just want to get away for a week, you really really want to go to golf school because you never went in the past like you wanted to because you "couldn't afford it" or rather, you couldn't "justify it to yourself" 

After thinking about it for days, you decide that you are ready to tell your wife.  So you are with her and you turn to your lovely wife and you say "honey, sweety, baby, apple blossom" or whatever other pet names you refer to when you speak to her.  As soon as she hears these words, she probably knows you want something, (I'm not saying that you won't always refer to her with sweet expressions but women just know these things) so she responds with a smile and says "yes xy or z pet name" to you back with a smile, you kind of know in your gut that when you tell her you want to go away for a week by yourself to play golf, she will probably not be very happy about it, after all, all women are not as cool as me (I needed a comparison for this example) anyway, you tell her this and immediately she starts going off on you, on how you are going to spend all this money on a golf trip, money that you need to save for juniors college or for that addition you two want in the back of the house, or for the other baby you two want to have, and on and on she goes, bitching and winning of how selfish you are, how she works hard too, how even if she goes with you, it would only be more money, how you want to go away for a week and leave her alone to attend to junior and on and on the bitch goes! (yes I wrote bitch) because at this point you are so annoyed, you are thinking just that, that she is a bitch! your thinking also, that if you let  junior have it easy, he will never appreciate things as much as you have, but you dare not say that to your wife because (remember, she isn't as cool as me) so she will probably be even more pissed off if you even suggest that.  After that, you start actually paying attention to what she is saying and then you will start to feel guilty and even feel that you were wrong for even suggesting it.  Needles to say, your Jekyll Island adventure never gets to happen.

All of this drama, could of been avoided, had you listened to that crazy chick, who last you heard left the planet in some space ship! (poor woman) who would always tell you to enjoy life while you could, because life is too short, because sometimes we only get one chance to do what we really want, because money is not everything in life and although you have it, you don't get to enjoy it, so what good is it?

I have made my argument. And as a side note, I have been a wife in the past and therefore, I can completely relate to your wife feeling that way.  How dare you! your so damn selfish. :)

As an alternative because 3k is just way too much money for you to spend on yourself.  You can still go to the island, enjoy some golf at a mere I think I saw 45 dollars a hole or puck or whatever it's called? and enjoy the history of the Island which is pretty cool!

Also I should note, that you haven't been on a real vacation in how many years you told me? Exactly! All that money that would of been used for those vacations you are going to use for this one (another justification) I think you should go to this trip and not feel guilty about it! You deserve it and owe it to yourself.

And remember, If you spoil junior or that bitch wife of yours (just kidding) I'm sure she will be lovely.  But if you spoil them, they won't appreciate things as much. 

Take that trip and enjoy! You never know, you might just meet ms. future Hyde there, you will get to network, play golf, and live!

The end.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What happens in Vegas!

 Dear Journal - I know it has been sometime since I last wrote but as of late, my life has been pretty busy! I came on here tonight to write...