Friday, April 13, 2012

On Line dating..... REAL CRAZY SHIT!

I am seriously like extremely tired and although I want to write a full out report, I really can't do it for two major reasons.  One, I don't have all the material ready, two, I am to tired to put it together even if I did have all of it and three, It's too detailed and way too much to write on a Friday night nearing midnight (sorry that was three not two).  Wow! why am I writing a blog post at this time again? YEAH! ABSOLUTELY NO LIFE! or some may argue that being home on a Friday night blogging is very cool, UM, yeah!

Anyway, the other day I had a meeting with my Social Psychology Professor because I was very concerned with the fact that I did not do well in her exam, if you have read my blog before, I have mentioned how I get really nervous during exams and blank out almost, it's really stressful and something I have been struggling with for the last few years since I went back to college.  Regardless of the fact that I don't test well, I somehow manage to get decent grades, but decent is simply not enough.  So after the exam my awesome Professor said that we could meet her if we wanted to discuss our grade if we were not happy with it.  She said she had different methods she could discuss with us on how to study by seeing our study techniques.  I made an appointment with her and all I can say is that she is AWESOME! 

I went into her office and the first thing I said to her was, Professor, I need to do well in order to get into grad school, furthermore, I take my academic career extremely serious and I want to know what you suggest I do in order to make this happen.  Then I said, Professor, I really really want to do some research about online dating except I have no idea how to start or what to do or exactly what I want it to be on.  As soon as I said that, she turns around and goes through some books she has on her desk and hands me a booklet and the title was...... Psychological Science in the public interest, A journal of the Association for Psychological Science and the topic? Online Dating A Critical Analysis Form the Perspective of Psychological Science! when I saw it, my mouth salivated because I could not wait to sink my teeth into it and read every little bit of information those four amazing Social Psychologist had to share.

As I said, I do not have all the information yet to be able to really access or write too much on the subject, the booklet is only about 60 pages and I am only up to page 15 not including the commentary and introduction and all the other juicy stuff I read thus far.  But already, there are some very fundamental things that I need to put on my blog because I found them relevant to my life.  Below is some information I literally copied off the booklet, it was just easier doing that than rewriting it in my own words.  It is as follows:

"Longer periods of computer mediated communication may hurt peoples romantic aspects, people over interpret the social cues available and if done to long can produce unpleasant expectancy violations." 

81% of online daters report inaccurate characteristics about themselves ie. height weight age
60% lied about weight 48% about their height and 19% about their age
Generally the degree of deception was small and difficult to detect face to face.

Why was this study done?

They did the study because they wanted to address several questions that have public importance.  They express and I quote "romantic relationships, their presence as well as their success or failure, play a central role in individuals' physical and emotional well being" the need to connect deeply with others has been described as a "fundamental human motivation, when that need is fulfilled  couples experience better health, recover from Illness more quickly and live longer lives."  AMAZING!

My concluding thoughts on this topic that I have not really finished reading and hope to discuss further on my wonderful blog is.  I have had very positive experiences ever since I entered the world of online dating, I highly recommend it to everyone because it's all about the approach you take when using that avenue to meet potential romantic partners.  Once upon a time I was one of those "bah hum bug" people about online dating, but I don't feel that way anymore.  No I have not met the man of my dreams (I don't really have a man of my dreams) on any of these sites, but I have met some amazing new friends and that is always awesome! If you have any questions about this post, please leave me a comment and I will be more then happy to find out the answer for you.

I leave you now with a song my little girl was listening to.  I overheard her listening to it and just HAD to put it on my blog.... for LOVE MAKES OUR WORLD TURN ROUND! AND IF YOU ARE SINGLE LIKE ME, GO GET EM TIGGER! Remember, the experts say that Romantic Relationships help us live longer! 



Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson- Beauty and the Beast





No comments:

Post a Comment

What happens in Vegas!

 Dear Journal - I know it has been sometime since I last wrote but as of late, my life has been pretty busy! I came on here tonight to write...