Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Road to the Race part Deux

For a very long time, one of my dreams has been to run in a marathon, or be part of some sort of jogging/running event.  I blogged about this in more detail a few weeks ago.  http://jazzy-jazzysjournal.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-road-to-race.html I don't like to make new years resolutions because I usually never stick to them.  So this year, I had decided, that instead of calling my "resolutions" a "resolution" I was going to call it an objective, therefore I would be tricking my mind into NOT breaking my resolution.

I of course refuse to be like the masses, so instead of starting my "objectives" right on January 1st.  I had decided that these life changing "objectives" would require careful thought and planning.  I once started a resolution in June, yes June.

Two weeks ago, the trainer at my gym gave me my 16 week training plan for my very first race ever!  When I looked at it, I felt that it wasn't going to be that hard, after all, I have been jogging off and on for the last almost 3yrs, so I'm good right? WRONG!

I usually jog on a treadmill and when you do that, there are certain speeds you can run at, well, little did I know, that this man (my trainer) was going to make me run really really fast! Last week, I was supposed to run at a pace of 5.8miles per hour, and I was supposed to do this for 3miles.  Well, since I have always jogged at 4.7 miles per hour, this was really difficult.   I told someone at work today, that I realized that all this time I was merely skipping, because after having to run at 5.8 miles per hour, going back to the speed I was previously jogging at felt slow.  I was unable to run the whole 3 miles at 5.8 so after like 2.5 miles and looking at the trainer like I was about to croak, he told me to slow back down to my normal pace.... Thank God! I loved him for this.

Today I finished week 2 of my training, and my body feels like the time when I got jumped by like 4 or more girls at a train station once when I was like 19 (I couldn't tell you an exact number of girls because well, I was too busy catching a beat down) but that's how my body feels. Like I have been punched, kicked, thrown around and pulled in all directions, even my checks feel weird, and I'm not talking about my face!

This week I also took the next step in this process.  I asked the trainer to weigh me and tell me my body fat.  I am 15 pounds over weight and he said that my body fat was about 8 points higher in body fat, for my age.  He said that if I bring my weight down, it will definitely help me run faster.   I have to admit I have been in serious denial about my weight.  The reason I don't usually weigh myself, is because I always go by what my cloths feels like, If it gets tight, I started watching what I eat.  Also, a long time ago when I was at my ideal weight, I felt that I didn't look right.  Someone even compared me to a cartoon character named
skeletor from HE MAN (pretty mean right?) but I agreed with the person, I don't want to look un healthy.



Now I am slowly also working on my diet.  I feel that when we start to cut stuff off right away and think "diet" we tend to crave things more, so instead of going all crazy and giving up on stuff cold turkey, I am lowering the sugar intake to start with and trying to eat less beef (I love steak) this is really hard since eating is my favorite thing in the world, but I have to do all of this so that I can do well and my knees won't get affected by my weight and the running.

I have to admit though that today, had it not been for my wonderful friend Trevor who I love and admire (he has done triathlons) and is AWESOME! had he not coincidentally walked into the gym while I was there, I seriously don't think my body would of been able to take the 3 miles (I ran 2 at 5.8 and 1 at 5.0)  When I saw him I was so happy because I knew that he would say the right thing to motivate me.  While we were both running, every time I would look to my right and saw him running way faster and making It look so easy, I felt like I had to make him proud! Trevor, was also the person who helped me make the decision to take on this race.  I kept looking at him as he looked so calm and collective just running along at (7.5 miles per minute!) as if nothing was happening and I kept thinking OMG! I CAN DO THIS! when I was done, I looked like I was about to collapse, but he gave me a high five as he continued to almost glide on that treadmill and that made me feel better.  As I walked away and he told me he had ran 4 miles and was still going at it, I told him I hated him and we both laughed.



All in all, I think I am doing pretty well.  But I am extremely exhausted.  My motivation is my excitement that I am doing something good for my health, that I will fulfill my dream, that I have great friends that support me, that this is something that makes me feel happy.


So, find your motivation, look for those friends that support your "resolutions" "objectives" think of how great you will feel when you accomplish your goal and whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!  Cause if I can do it, SO CAN YOU.  


I will leave  you with my motivational song :)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioE_O7Lm0I4 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What happens in Vegas!

 Dear Journal - I know it has been sometime since I last wrote but as of late, my life has been pretty busy! I came on here tonight to write...